Monday, March 31, 2008

My Sassy Girl (Movie)

I don't know much about art. So I will just write about a Korean movie, my sassy girl.
The story is actually based on a true story. The bit where Gyeon-woo starts journaling and writes his story about his relationship is very similar to how the actually writer ended up writing this movie. The ending, however, is different for the sake of the movie. I don't think the english version will be nearly as funny, endearing, or even be similar to the original. Much of what makes My Sassy Girl so funny is cultural. Many of the jokes and situations are very culture specific, set in the korean culture. In the U.S., they just would not translate well.
I absolutely love the guy who plays Gyeon-woo(hero) because he is so funny. However, a heroin is very convincing in the film as well. The Sassy Girl's so sassy, she will make you want to... get sassy with ther yourself!
She comes across as such a nasty b*tch bully that you'll feel like reaching over and poppin;her on the noggin for such bratth behaviour. But underneath all that attitude lies a vulnerable girl who has loved and lost. You'll need patience watching the show, as it takes quite a while to get to the part where all is revealed.
The good thing is, the conclusion to the story surprised me. It makes watching all the abuse Gyeon-woo had to endure in his quirky relationship with the volatile Girl more bearable.
I got a little tired of the show a little past mid-point but the big reveal totally saved it. In the end, I enjoyed thd flick... it's very clever.
So popular is the movie that hollywood is making a remake of it.

No comments: